Saturday, August 8, 2009

Best Wines Under $13 - August 9

This weeks top pick under $13 in British Columbia continues to be one of my all time favourites.

Bodegas Cortes (sorry no picture) Tinto (Red) that sells for $9.99 is truly a steal.

I knew I had to bring this wine into our stores immediately upon tasting it. Giant raspberry and blackberry flavours dominate the nose and palate, while there is an undertone of savoury spices and black pepper.
The finish is remarkably long for a $15 wine let along one for under $10.
This is not your collectible wine but an everyday wine that is perfect with Tuesday Night pasta, grilled cheese, chicken, or a big juicy steak. Tonight I had it with Black Bean Soup, Triscuits and Gorgonzola and Havarti cheese.
I have personally purchased at least 5 cases and have told everyone of my friends about it.

As good as a wine may taste to a guy like me (I taste over 3000 wines a year) it doesn't mean that it will appeal to our customers. Like all great wines that over deliver there is usually a quirky little story that surrounds the wine. Here is the story that made me get behind this wine.

On one particular day I had 25 wines to taste on my desk. I had worked through most of them and came upon the Bodegas Cortes. The bottle and label reminded me of the many wines that you see on the store shelves in Spain or Italy. Simple, straight forward, and clearly a 'value' item.

My palate was pretty tired and although I really liked it, I thought I would do an impromptu office tasting and ask their opinions.

In these tastings I always ask the following questions:
1. Do you like it, love it or hate it?
2. What is a fair price?
3. What is a Wow!!!! price?

Out of 10 office mates 9 either loved it or liked it, 1 hated it.
The average fair price was $15.
The Wow!!! price was pegged at $12

Bodegas Cortes comes to us from a Co-Op based in the Valencia region of Spain.
It is a blend of Garnacha (Grenache) and Tempranillo.
Because it comes from a Co-Op it can reach BC at such a low price.

Give it a shot. Like I said it is a great everyday wine and I understand from one of my Twitter friends that two glasses a day improves ones ability to perform in bed. Bodegas Cortes is a lot cheaper than the little blue pill.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Rod Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment